Saturday, June 14, 2008

I really miss writing.
Not writing like this- I can always do this, tho sometimes it is hard to find a topic or a purpose.
I miss writing because I have to, because my grade depends on it, because someone is expecting a story to read the next day.
Today the Governor of Delaware came to my office. It was supposed to be a press conference, but not too many (if any) members of the press were there. So I quickly asked one of my marketing friends to grab a pad and pen for me, and as soon as I had it, I was furiously scribbling my notes. I tried to capture the excitement in their voices, the integrity in their words, the joy in their tones.
After I was back at my desk, I typed up my notes, which were full of incomplete thoughts, my own shorthand and then stared at them looking for my story. What was the lead? What part do I focus on? Whose quotes do I emphasize? How do I turn these thoughts into coherent sentences? How do I get this quote accurate based on memory?
When I was done, I had a story. Not a terribly interesting one, but a story just the same. I breathed a sigh of relief, placed the story in the hands of those who can do something with it, and waited. I am still waiting, but I feel like I accomplished something small. I was able to document a small piece of my company's history. I was able to summarize an hour into a few words. Other people can read it now.
I wish I could do that always.

No comments: