Friday, September 12, 2008

Jodi Picoult thinks I'm calm

So my birthday was pretty great.

First of all, my interview was the best interview I have ever had. I think I just clicked, you know. The conversation was great and I feel very confident about the job. I am still praying that I am content no matter what, but I am hoping that I get it.

The best part was the amount of people praying for me. I had so many people sending me messages and comments saying "Happy Birthday, Diana- I'm praying for your interview!!" My friends are so special and great!!!!

So last night, Allen took me to see Jodi Picoult. I have never seen an author speak before, much less my favorite author, so I didnt know what to expect. Basically she addressed a crowd of 1200 people and talked about her research process for her books. I loved hearing about the specific processes for my two favorite books, Second Glance and Nineteen Minutes. We also had a Q&A time where she shared a lot more. I was especially disturbed to hear that they are changing the ending of My Sister's Keeper for the movie. I will be staging a protest in Hollywood soon. Stay tuned.

The best part was, of course, meeting her. There was a massive line for the signing and Allen and I were toward the back. The bad part was the hour+ wait, and the good part was the fact that she was more chatty with fewer people. She and I chatted a minute about how my favorite book is one she especially likes and how it is tough to get at first. Then Allen had her write happy birthday on my book and she goes "Is today your birthday?"
"Yes it is"
"Well happy birthday, Diana!"
"Thank you!! I found out a while ago you were coming on my birthday and it was the perfect thin to do!"
"Well, of course you do realize that is why I am here. For your birthday. "
"Oh well thank you!"
Haha so cute.

And then it gets better. I thought I lost my wallet (when really it had fallen out in my car,) and Jodi was just so upset about it. She kept saying "now you are going to associate my books with losing your wallet! I feel so terrible!"
When of course, it was TOTALLY her fault, right? I was very chill about it, since you know, stuff happens and she kept going "You are so calm! I would NOT be so calm!!" It was some pretty funny dialogue.

So, much like meeting Susan Egan, I was so pleased and surprised to see how genuine and down-to-earth someone I so admire is. It was a fantastic birthday present.

No comments: